The man began smoking his electronic cigarette at his office in Massachusetts, US. A surveillance video caught in tape the moment it explodes in a cloud of sparks and smoke. The video was released by his boss, who claimed he required 12 stitches in his face after the accident.
The number of injuries caused by exploding e-cigarettes is on the rise. The FDA has warned that at least 66 explosions occurred in 2015 and early 2016.
But the real number could be much bigger. Just one hospital, Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center, said it has treated 23 patients with e-cigarette burns since October 2015.
Faulty batteries may be the reason. However, the industry maintains e-cigarettes are safe when used properly.