Amine Britel was standing outside his nightclub in Toulouse, France, when his e-cigarette began sparking, melting the man’s jacket. At first he didn’t realized what had happened.
“All of a sudden I heard a loud bang and a noise like a flare had gone off, only ten times louder,” Britel said. “And after the shock of the explosion, I realised that I had caught fire.”
Firefighters found the man suffering serious injuries. They took him to the nearby Rangueil Hospital emergency room.
Doctors said he had second degree burns across the right side of his abdomen. “Fortunately I was wearing a cotton T-shirt underneath and not a synthetic one. Also fortunately, the battery was not in my jeans,” Britel said.